Appeal to Circuit Court

If you are found guilty in Ladysmith Municipal Court, you can appeal that decision to Rusk County Circuit Court.  You must file a Notice of Appeal and pay the filing fee within 20 days of the municipal court decision.

You can request that the circuit court take your appeal in one of three ways.  You can request that the circuit court review the transcript of the municipal court trial and make a decision based on that review.  Also, you can request a trial before the circuit court judge. Or, you can request a trial by jury in circuit court.

The appeal form may be obtained from the Ladysmith Municipal Court.  You may also download the appeal form by clicking here (pdf). Once an appeal is filed in circuit court, the municipal court judgment and sentence are stayed, or stopped.  No action is taken to enforce the judgment and sentence pending the appeal.