Instruction for Entering Pleas

You have the right to enter a plea of either GUILTY, NOT GUILTY or NO CONTEST to the charge against you.

If you enter a plea of NO CONTEST, you are neither admitting to, nor denying you committed the offense, but want the matter resolved and pay the forfeiture.  The effect of this plea is that you will be found guilty, but your conviction cannot be used against you in another civil court proceeding.

If you enter a plea of GUILTY, you are admitting that you committed the offense.  You will be found guilty and a forfeiture may be imposed.

If you plead NOT GUILTY, you deny committing the offense, and the matter will be adjourned for a pre-trial hearing with the Ladysmith City Attorney, Allen Kenyon.  If the case cannot be disposed of after this conference, then a trial will be scheduled and held in this court. 

Please note you may enter a plea of NOT GUILTY before your court date either by completing the Not Guilty Plea Form and then mail it, fax it or drop it off in person at the Municipal Court offices located at 120 Miner Avenue W, P. O. Box 431, Ladysmith, WI  54848.